Here are some details on the effects of nuclear war to help any one on an atomic war scenario.
We are all vulnerable to the threats from nuclear, biological and chemical weapons. At the present time President Obama worries more about the threat of terrorists' improvised (~10-100 ton) nuclear device going off in a major American city than anything else. If the failed President Obama and power crazed President Putin decide to end their political hatred and war posturing by eventual a declare war on each other's nation... Researchers have simulated the devastating effects of a small nuclear war for the first time.
The affects of some nukes are listed for lovers and opponents of global thermonuclear wars to note! For reference purposes, the bomb the U.S. dropped on Nagasaki, Japan, in 1945, had a yield of 20-21 kt (20-21 Kilotons or the force of 20,000 to 21,000 tons of TNT).
A battle simulationEdit
|The 20 ground burst locations.||Bomb yield.||The Dead.||The Wounded.|
|Ellis Island, NY||2 tones (theoretically possible)||0||0|
|Bangui Airport, Bangui||20 tones (t)||1||10|
|Lima Airport, Lima||20 tones||27||15|
|Ellis Island, NY||20 tones||51||9|
|Botín Cafe, Madrid||100 tones||0||6,110|
|Prince Street station, Lower Manhattan, NY||100 tonnes||1||7,550|
|CSX South Kearny Yard, New Jersey||100 tones||10||110|
|Ellis Island, NY||100 tones||52||10|
|Belfast City Hall, Belfast||100 tones||2,060||680|
|Gum superstore, Moscow||100 tones||3,680||1,930|
|Xi'an City Sports Park, Xi'an||20 kilotons (Kt)||90||1,230|
|Ellis Island, NY||20 Kt||930||50,180|
|Xi'an City Sports Park, Xi'an||20 Kt||11,180||35,450|
|CSX South Kearny Yard, New Jersey||20 kt||1,630||12,920|
|Gum superstore Moscow||20 Kt||42,650||123,910|
|Simultaneously at Lower Bicester army depot, Bicester Aerodrome and Upper Arncotte army depot in Oxfordshire.||3x 20 Kt (Total yield 3 x20 kt= 60kt in a close proximaty to each other.)||9,830||14,900|
|Ellis Island||45 Kt||5,320||130,100|
|Gum superstore Moscow||150 Kt||176,220||473,400|
|Ellis Island NY||800 Kt||335,300||1,253,600|
|Botín Cafe, Madrid||5 megatons (Mt)||1,717,410||1,229,920|
Basic weapons used, delivery, aftermath and procurement dataEdit
- Yep, millions are died!!!
- Much of the destruction caused by a nuclear explosion is due to the blast effects, but thermal energy fires will also occur. A minor earthquake would happen with ground blasts over circa ~25kt and the detonation point, known as ground zero, will always be vaporized.
- If the fireball from an air burst touches the ground or it is ground burst, more soil is evaporated, thus increasing radioactive fall out.
- An American precision strike on the Russian ICBM silos would kill ~5-8 million Russians in 2014.
- If a ground burst by a 20kt bomb occurred at about the same time on both the Lower Bicester army depot, Bicester Airodrome and Upper Arncotte army depot in Oxfordshire, then it can be predicted that the village of Ambrosden would be in ruins, Bicester town heavily damage, some villages like Launton heavily irradiated and several more villages like Wendlebury and Chesterton slightly irradiated. If the NUKEMAP simulator's windsock control key is set to make 45 degree angle wind to the north east, then radioactive fall out would devastate Bletchley, Milton Keayns, Wolverton and Buckingham, leading to mass panic and later lots of ill health! The NUKEMAP atomic war simulation site reckoned on immediate casualties of about- Estimated fatalities of 9,830 and Estimated injuries of 14,900!
- There were still some 26,000 nuclear warheads in the world as of 2013.
- Under section 4 of the NATO charter, an attack on a any NATO country is an attack on all.
- A 1 megaton hydrogen bomb, detonated on the earth's surface (ground burst), has about ~80 times the blast power of that 1945 explosions.
- NUKEMAP, created by Alex Wellerstein, a nuclear historian, allows people to explore the blast radius of a nuclear bomb anywhere in the world. NUKEMAP is a Google Maps mash-up that calculates the effects of the detonation of a nuclear bomb. It is a nuclear weapons effects simulator for Google Earth. You can choose both the size of the bomb (explosive yield in tons, kilotons or megatonns), air or surface burst, wind direction, predicted death toll listings, crater size ring and location.
- The so-called DFZ or "the Dangerous Fallout Zone" will extend out as much as 20 miles, but it is likely to be extremely narrow level for most of this zone leading to only a long term cacer risk, not sudden death by acute radiation poisoning.
- The latest N. Korean test was at 10Kt.
- At 0.5-1 Gray (Gy) will cause a decreased production of immunity cells and thus susceptible to infections leading to septic wounds, nausea, headache, and vomiting may be common. Most people will live, but many will later get cancer. At 1.5-3 Gray: ~35% percent of exposed die within 30 days.There would be Nausea, vomiting, and hair loss over all the victims' body area. Over 5 Grays of initial blast radiation will kill many people and give all radiation sickness.
- Sweden, S. Africa, Ukraine and Kazakhstan gave up nuclear weapons.
- Nukes are held by- China, USA, UK, Russia, N. Korea (a total of ~5 10 kt devices only in 2013), Israel, India, Pakistan and France. Iran is also plotting to get them.
- China had procured at least 12 stealthy diesel-electric Kilo-class subs from Russia by 2013, while the U.S. military has shifted its focus away from Cold War skills, like submarine hunting and detection.
- The trauma from shrapnel like broken glass and shattered wood is probably the largest treatable type of atomic blast injury.
- Valves (thermal vacuum tubes) are uniquely almost immune to an electro-magnetic pulse (EMP). Transistors are vulnerable to it. Integrated circuits and microchips are the most vulnerable.
- A 100 kt nuke set with an optimum air burst to maximize surface destruction would be truly devastating! The radius of 10 PSI over-pressure that collapses non reinforced buildings is 1.3 miles and the radius of thermal (heat) energy causing 3rd degree burns is 3.2 miles!
- The Manhattan Project cost 2 billion USD, or 26 billion adjusted for inflation. It involved over 130,000 people, 30+ locations, and almost a hundred scientists. It was, until the Space Race, the most resource-consuming project in human history.
As with all wars there are limitations to practicality and the risk of over kill, the destruction of what is supposed to be captured and one's own forces and their allies.
|Mission||Target.||Yield.||Nuke.||Dead.||Wounded.||Outer edge of 3rd degree burns.|
|Wipe out most of a major city||Broadway-Lafayette Subway Station, NY.||Russian SS-25 Topol||800kt||1,180,300||1,401,440||60% in to SCX South Kerny Yard, NY.|
|Destroy a major military base and support centre||Chambers Field NAS, Norfolk, VA||French TN80/81||300kt||16,550||46,980||Bud Metheny Baseball Facility, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA|
|Completely and pointlessly annihilate Spokane, Washington, and it's out-lying suberbs like Airway highs.||Unerhill Park, Spokane WA||Chinese Dong Fen 5||5mt||170,330||116,030||25% in to Meadow Wood Golf Course|
|Destroy a major railroad marshalling yard||The SCX South Kerny Yard, NY.||Largest Indian atomic missile||60kt||4,540||54,740||Hudson City Savings Bank, John F. Kennedy Blvd, near the junction with Jewett Ave.|
|Destroy 42nd Street Port Authority Bus Terminal, PABA bus terminal (ACE), Time Sq-42nd St station, Av/w 41st station, The Manhattan Thearter Centrer and The Times Centre.||42nd Street Port Authority Bus Terminal, PABA bus terminal (ACE)||American Davy Crockett battle field nuke.||20 tones||18,590||11,540||Madame Tuasudes NY, but there is a even larger radiation zone with this one and it reached Golder Mayer Sq, NY.|
|Destroy central Ocala||Chazal Park, Ocala||N. Korean highest A-bomb blast||10kt||2,160||7,260||Uncle Roy's Mobile Home Sales, NW 4th Ave|
Why use them?Edit
Alaska and the Yukon have really rugged terrain ,  , and  as has Kamchatka, Yakutia and Chukotka , and , and the the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa in Pakistan  so troops and local partisans could hunker down and hide out for ages. Fully conquering them with out WMD would be difficult. They are also good for wiping out amassed armies and major industrial cities.
- 1880's-1910's Brazilian notes.
- African map links page
- Baltics are Waking Up
- Atomic war
- Mushroom cloud
- DEFCON 1
- Cuban Missile Crisis
- POMCUS sites
- Nuclear warfare
- Designated survivor
- Two-man rule
- Permissive Action Link
- Emergency Action Message
- Special Weapons Emergency Separation System
- Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP)
- Mushroom cloud
- Cold War secret police organisations
- Estonia did have a submarine in 1937!
- How Governments become Authoritarian
- Lithuanian did have a navy, army air-force and natural resources in 1933!
- Minerals and fuel in central Africa
- Nations and vassal states of 1490-1500
- Nations in 1988
- Nations in 1991
- A nuclear\atomic holocaust or nuclear apocalypse
- O.T.L. history notes
- OTL Decolonisation notes
- OTL Natural disasters
- Singing Revolution
- A surprise nuclear attack
- Operation Behemoth
- The "Baltic Chain" demonstration on August 23, 1989
- The O.T.L. Operation High Jump conspiracy theory
- The Swiss National Redoubt (1880-2010)
- Today's OTL types of economies, societies and regimes
- UK and Commonwealth OTL troop numbers in WW1
- UK and Commonwealth OTL troop numbers in WW2
- UK OTL atomic reactors in 1962
- What is a coup d'état?
- Why the USSR broke up in reality
- Geiger-Muller counter