- Name- History/H2.
- Launched in- January 1, 1995.
- Owned by- A+E Networks (Hearst Corporation (50%), The Walt Disney Company (50%)).
- Picture format- 1080i (HDTV)/480i (SDTV).
- Slogan- Made Every Day.
- Home- country United States.
- Broadcast area- National.
- Headquarters- New York City, New York, United States.
- Formerly called- The History Channel (1995–2008).
- Sister channel(s).
- Military History.
- History en Español.
- Crime & Investigation Network.
- Lifetime Real Women.
- Website- History.com and History.com/H2.
The History Channel's original logo, used from January 1, 1995 to February 16, 2008. History's logo, used from February 16, 2008 to June 1, 2015; the new logo does not have the triangle on the side of the H.
Availability and ratings
As of February 2015, approximately 96,149,000 American households (82.6% of households with television) receive History. The channel has consistently produced decent prime-time ratings in the U.S.
International localized versions of History are available, in various forms, in India, Canada, Europe, Australia, Middle East, Africa, and Latin America. The first European version was launched in Scandinavia in 1997 by Viasat which now operates their own channel, Viasat History.
The network was also criticized by Stanley Kutner for airing the controversial and odd-ballseries The Men Who Killed Kennedy in 2003. Mr Kutner was one of three historians commissioned to review the documentary, which the channel disavowed and never aired again.
On the other hand, programs such as Modern Marvels have been praised for their presentation of detailed information in an entertaining format.
Supposed eras according to critics and the popular press
The 'Hitler Channel' of 1995-2000
- It had largely erudite WW2 content except a few science, social and engineering shows like the The History of Sex (1999-2000) and beginnings of the show Modern Marvels (1995-2015).
The 'Golden Age' of 2000-2006
- It started to expand in to more historical stuff and became less Hitler and WW2 orientated as shown by Line of Fire (2002-2008), Declassified (2004-2005), Shootout! (2005-2008), Dogfights (2006-2010) and Mega Movers (2006-2007).
- The pseudo-scientific show Decoding the Past (2005–2011) and UFO Files (2006-2010) were born here.
The 'Peace Time' era of 2007-2008
- The Universe (2007 to date), and Cities of the Underworld (2007-2010), Extreme Trains (2008-2009) and Rome: Rise and Fall of an Empire (2008-2009) were all part of this time of reduce war content and higher civil historical content.
- Ice Road Truckers (2007 to date) was the first in the then new channel's "real-men-in-danger" television programming trend. Ax Men (2008 to date) then come along in 2008.
- Battle 360° (2008 to 2010) first occurred here.
The 'Doomsday Channel' of 2009-2012
- A lot of 2012 Event death/apolitical shows occurred at this point like Life After People (2008-2009) the Nostradamus Effect (2009-2012).
- The pseudo-scientific show Ancient Aliens (2009-to date) started in this era.
- Unsealed: Alien Files (2011-2012) was born in this era..
- At least Food Tech (2010) was not a load of falsehoods.
- The non "in-danger" reality TV era stuff occurred with the birth of Pawn Stars (2009 to to date).
- Ice Pilots NWT, also known in the UK and the US as Ice Pilots (2009-2014) was born here.
The 'Unhistorical Channel' of 2012-to date
- The historical dodgy historical drama Vikings (2013- to date) premièred 2013. Mountain Men (2012- to date) was started in 2012 and The Curse of Oak Island (2014-2016) came along in 2014.
- The dates in brackets beside programs are from when it first premièred in the USA to roughly when it was last shown and\or re-run in the UK (usualy after the USA) rather than just when it was shown and premièred in the USA and\or UK or any sort of vague global figuer.
Wikipedia's cover-up and rhings?
Some of the talk page comments were removed for genuinely being off topic or generally negative in tone...
- ☀ When The History Channel used to be The History Channel
Over half of the History Channels programing is "reality shows" Top Shot, Ricks Restorations, Pawn Stars, blah blah blah. Does anyone have any information on why such the great change has occured over the last 2 years? And ratings is the obvious answer, but was there a change of ownership or anything like that? DEWY CHEATEM AND HOWE (talk) 05:50, 12 October 2011 (UTC)
I concur strongly with the comment above. It is hard to believe that an Article on Wiki re the History Channel would not include mention of The Universe series. Pawn stars, pickers and axemen and Ice Road Truckers are trash by comparison. In fact they may just be trash without comparison. With the programming currently running on the History Channel I rarely do more than flip in and flip out. History is among the most strategic and valuable of human intellectual disciplines. If you have read about History even to a moderate extent you will recall the famous quote attributed to George Santayana "Those who have not learned the lessons of history are condemned to repeat them". To have a channel called the History Channel running programming which panders to the Soap Opera Crowd in our troubled World and times is absolutely Criminal.
07:35, 7 July 2012 Drucker0905 ([[talk | contribs) I agree. Shows like Axemen and Ice Road Truckers are just trashy American lifestyle/propaganda/soap-opera reality TV program aimed at turning Europeans in to America worshipping louts.18.104.22.168 (talk) 02:33, 10 November 2015 (UTC)
- ☀ High stakes poker
- ☀ Memorial Day
For me it has become a sad day I will no longer be watching your channel for it is no longer about History on this day Memorial Day all you see is Pawn Shop and Pickers and shows like that no History. I do not no where I will go to watch about History shows but I do know you can not see it on your Channel ! — Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 01:42, 27 May 2014 (UTC)
- ☀ Lalibela Ethiopia
Why don't you show something about the church's carved in the rocks in Lalibela Ethiopia you can always show Stone hedge and say it is the greatest but I don't think so do you all know anyone who can carve a church from rock going down into the ground I watch the History channel all the time but have never seem some other works that are amazing and great. Why don't you show that part of the world so we can see the wonders of it.
Some just asked questions about it's name...
- ☀The Redneck Channel?
Does anyone know if it's true that the name is going to be changed to "The Redneck Channel" or "The Tabloid Channel"?
Something tells me that there were no actual functioning consciences involved with any of the changes. But plenty of money likely was.
- ☀Programming section
Personally I think many of the shows on History are idiotic, however the Programming section should merely contain an unemotional description of what kinds of programs the channel carries, and that's all. Save the (reliably sourced) criticism for the Criticism section. Thanks. - LuckyLouie (talk) 16:58, 10 May 2014 (UTC)
But others were removed for being to critical of the channel...
- ☀Show- IRT Deadliest Roads
They have made this show after "Ice Road Truckers". Show,"IRT Deadliest Roads" seemed to be making large exaggerations and lots of made up situations all around the show.
Particular in season 2 (Latin America), the truck drivers never respect locals. it is very irritating to see. the often scold them and swear on them. It is very unlikely to see people acting like that in a foreign country. it shows Americans' attitude to trample Latin American people. All around the show they have never given any credits to locals or appreciate them. On a view point of a documentary channel it is a huge issue about their responsibility to deliver unbiased information and respect for other nations.
- ☀Avoids Black African enslavement
- ☀Section Needed on Executives at the History Channel
Especially focusing on which specific executives were instrumental in gutting and dumbing down the channel so badly. The light of day should of course be supplemented with well-cited, well documented information about this. As an example, no one should be called an outright sociopath, although sociopathic behavior that can be documented and cited should be included in such a section. 126.96.36.199 (talk) 23:39, 17 August 2013 (UTC)
- ☀Channel logo
I was wondering if anyone knows if the logo happens to be a play on the phrase "golden age", since the logo actually is a "golden H". I just realised that some time ago, but I couldn't find any reference to it. PS: If this is actually an intended wordplay, I think it's very clever, but if it's not, I suggest the History channel makes a documentary about how they were inspired by ancient aliens to get this logo.
- ☀Mountain Men 08/28/2015
That episode is a disgrace. It showed the idiot pouring gas into the stove to start fire and telling his daughter that the boy-scouts did this. Terrible example of things that should not be shown. Where were your editors???????188.8.131.52 (talk) 16:13, 28 August 2015 (UTC)jim smith.
- ☀Hunting Hitler 10/11/2015
It is a speciality documentary show that claimed Adolph Hitler fled to Argentina. OK, there is proof of a recently discovered 1950's Nazi hideout in Argentina's Misiones Province, but it is not knowable if Hitler got there. I like the idea, but I think it was used by some one else like aero-enginer Otto Tank or Adolph Eichmann.
- ☀Medieval armour
It is incorrect.
The show is just a cute story and factual new-age paff/whitewash.
Why the hell is the History Channel under Pseudohistory?
Their history is well-documented. You're just far-left academics intolerant of those that disagree with your viewpoints and they cite their sources. The History Channel has well-documented sources and their shows are authoritative and have won many awards for their documentaries. I suppose Modern Marvels is pseudohistory, even though what Modern Marvels talks about is how ever day stuff works, like cars and other household products.
This is stupid to put the History channel in pseudohistory because it does not agree with the agenda of Wikipedia. THe Pseudohistory article is intolerant of those with different viewpoints, like history based on nationalism and national identities that people have had for centuries. The review is unfair and biased. Those World War II docs bring insight and fresh view to World War II and you should respect other viewpoints, which Wiki sadly does not do.
This putting History Channel in Pseudohistory category is wrong and disgusting and they have academics on their TV shows like anyone else. I am disgusted with Wikipedia and it's mocking of the History Channel because of differing viewpoints and it's not pseudohistory, like all the other bullshit like Eric von Danniken or whatever. Modern Marvels is well-documented, yet I see no review of that.
This article does not give them a fair shake at all and I think that the Hitler Channel opinion is biased because the History Channel has a right to tell people about World War II. This is far-left bashing of History and Wiki censors history because someone's agenda is being threatened and intolerance of other viewpoints.
- Most of the series on this channel are not historical. Of those that are, the majority are pseudohistorical - aliens, monsters, conspiracies, Nostradamus, etc. If the channel must be described using the word 'history' at all, it should be qualified as "pseudohistory". Personally I think that the term should be entirely avoided, and the "History" channel rebranded as the "Wacko" channel!Royalcourtier (talk) 05:34, 22 March 2015 (UTC)
- A lot of it is unprovable. Did Hitler and Truman chat with E.T.s, we don't know and will never know even if they did, which they most likely did not. Burnt documents from then can not be recreated and crazy non-scientists like Erich von Däniken muddy the waters even more, so it cant be more than conjecture either way!184.108.40.206 (talk) 19:14, 15 November 2015 (UTC)
The channel is a way of making money by belittling the EU's and Russia's scientists, spread anarchy, undermine world stability, push pseudo-science, promote goths, slagging of Amish and encourage voodoo cult. It is American-conservative/fascist politically parasite that ruins the EU's airwaves!
- Ancient Aliens/Nostradamus Effect http://www.businessinsider.com/discovery-channels-fake-documentaries-2014-9?IR=T
- Apcalips Island http://www.lindipendente.eu/wp/en/2011/09/05/apocalypse-island-an-history-channel-hoax/
- Shark Week http://entertainment.time.com/2013/08/07/discovery-channel-provokes-outrage-with-fake-shark-week-documentary/
- Pawn Stars http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/pawn-stars-chumlee-death-hoax-history-channel-star-debunks-rumors-via-twitter--2014143
- Devil's Graveyard http://www.veryhelpful.net/2014/12/devils_graveyards/ http://www.dailygrail.com/blogs/Charles-Pope/2015/1/Discovery-Channel-Stop-Airing-Hoax-Documentarieshttp://www.dailygrail.com/blogs/Charles-Pope/2015/1/Discovery-Channel-Stop-Airing-Hoax-Documentaries http://www.veryhelpful.net/2014/12/devils_graveyards/
And as for the racist comment and the 'douche bag' incident!
- ☀ Canadaion station
The current article states that-
"It is often confused with an independently-owned, but similar, Canadian service, History Television."
However, I have never heard of the Canadaion station 'History Television', and I doubt that many people outside of the Canada/US border have (and I even get a Canadian station in NY). Perhaps this is a minor point, but wouldn't it be more appropriate and 'scientific' to state that the History Channel can be confused with History TV, or that a similar service operates in Canada under the name History TV? Tkessler https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Tkessler 03:46, Mar 22, 2005 (UTC)
However, I have never heard of the Canadaion station 'History Television', and I doubt that many people outside of the Canada/US border have (and I even get a Canadian station in NY). Perhaps this is a minor point, but wouldn't it be more appropriate and 'scientific' to state that the History Channel can be confused with History TV, or that a similar service operates in Canada under the name History TV? Tkessler 03:46, Mar 22, 2005 (UTC) However, I have never heard of the Canadaion station 'History Television', and I doubt that many people outside of the Canada/US border have (and I even get a Canadian station in NY). Perhaps this is a minor point, but wouldn't it be more appropriate and 'scientific' to state that the History Channel can be confused with History TV, or that a similar service operates in Canada under the name History TV? Tkessler 03:46, Mar 22, 2005 (UTC)
- ☀ "Jews did 9//11"
Should a reference be added to the program on 9/11 conspiracies where they tried to pass off a YTMND (non - serious humor website) saying that "Jews did 9/11" as a serious conspiracy theory? —Preceding unsigned comment added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) 23:50, 5 September 2007 (UTC)
- Yeah, sure they did. Regina Spektor is President of Russia, Harley Kulkin is the mayor of Pahrump, I have some nice Martian beachfront property for you at $100 an acre, and Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny won the 2008 American presidential election. Oh, and Adolf Hilter was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald, who's alive and is the owner of the website The Agony Booth!
- Get a grip, dude! I don't know where that kind of talk belongs, but not the History Channel discussion page!
- To see the list of editors view here: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Talk:History_%28TV_channel%29&action=history
My view on Hunting Hitler
This psudo-history series argues for a huge coverup and went out to covince vieweres Htler escaped to South America and is still alive. I think the stuff they found were used by some one else like Kurt Waldemar Tank and Adolph Eichmann.
- The late 1940s to early 1950s FBI files showed the FBI doing a 'what if' and chasing up plausible rumours just in case Hitler did just manage to get out after all.
- The house in the jungle was a ordinary ex-Nazi hide-out, not Hitler's hide-out.
- The lost U-Boats' crew fled Germany and went to Chile and Argentina rather than go on trial.
- The Soviet's Hitler/Evea Braun skull and bone fragments were denounced since they were convinced beyond reason the Soviets were lyres.
- The tunnel to Berlin Tempelhof Airport was a railway supply tunnel to the airport I already knew of thanks to the TV shows Line of Fire and Battlefield in circa ~2004.
- We all know Spain was up the arse-hole of the Nazis, hence the submarine pen, dock, radar station and safe houses. On the other hand, Portugal was up the British arse-hole and alowed the fee use of the Azors by the British and late Americans during most of the war.
- The German's Chilean House had a collapsed basement or wind cellar, not a bunker.
- The plain wreck in Colombia was only a twisted, square, sub-aircraft size cage.
- The U-boat wreck in Chile was only a few bent scaffolding rods.
- The eye witnesses could be either be genuinely mistaken, attention seeking lyres, bribed to saying a script, saying whatever the crypto-Nazi cranks wanted to hear in order to get rid of them and/or bullied in to saying a script.
The shows I liked to watch
- The Universe
- Tales of the gun
- The Eastern Front: The Gates of Moscow
- The Eastern Front: Turning Point at Stalingrad
- Greatest Raids
- Patton 360•
- Line of Fire
- Greatest Tank Battles
- Hitler's Collaborators
- Wepons of war
- Inside the Great Battles
- The Last Days of WWII
- Lock N' Load with R. Lee Ermey
- Pacific: The Lost Evidence
- President Lincoln Assassination
- Surviving the Cut
- Modern Marvels
- Rome: Rise and Fall of an Empire
- How the Earth Was Made
- Lost Worlds
- The Lost Evidence
- Battle 360°
- Cities of the Underworld
- WeaponologyKiki444 (talk) 20:45, November 10, 2015 (UTC)